Leesa N. Weiss
Ms. Weiss counsels and advises clients on legal issues concerning intellectual property, commercial relationships and business strategies to protect intellectual property assets, designing and implementing intellectual property policies, including selecting and adopting trademarks; evaluates the availability of new marks for use and registration; provides clearance opinions and guidance; performs and analyzes trademark use investigations, and recommends strategies; conducts trademark audits and due diligence investigations; develops procedures for acquiring and maintaining trademark rights; manages domestic and international trademark portfolios; and prepares license agreements, assignments, and related trademark use documents.
Ms. Weiss represents U.S. and foreign clients through all phases of prosecuting trademark applications, and post-registration actions before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. She collaborates with foreign associates to prosecute trademark applications on behalf of U.S. clients in Canada, Mexico, South/Central America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia, as well as representing foreign clients before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office in connection with Paris Convention- and Madrid Protocol-based applications. Ms. Weiss enforces and defends intellectual property rights, including prosecuting ex parte appeals and inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board, and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; evaluates trademark and copyright infringement, unfair competition and domain name/internet issues, and provides infringement opinions; protects trademarks and copyrights through the U.S. Customs & Border Protection, Intellectual Property Rights Branch; and manages trademark and domain name enforcement programs, including resolving conflicts, drafting and negotiating settlement and coexistence agreements.
- University of Maryland, B.A.
- George Washington University
- The Columbus School of Law, Catholic University of America, J.D.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Maryland
- International Trademark Association
(Chair, Subcommittee on Patent and Trademark Office Policy and Procedures, 1992-1994)
Professional Honors, Publications and Professional Activities
- First Place, Nathan Burkan Memorial Competition (ASCAP), Columbus School of Law, 1987 (copyright/unfair competition law)
- “Dot Your i’s and Cross Your t’s – The Legalities of Publishing,” Quorum, May 2002 (trademark and copyright guidelines for newsletters, in the monthly publication of the Community Associations Institute, Washington Metropolitan Chapter)
- Paca-Brent American Inns of Court (Anne Arundel County, Maryland), Speaker, Stareyedbucks or Joe’s Big Mistake, March 2, 2006.